Sunday, July 16, 2017

Banker Barbie Chronicles: Snippets Edition

Banker Barbie Chronicles: Snippets Edition

-- It's hard being a blonde.  My hair has been a dry tangle.  Because it's gray.  And I'm getting older.  Screaming red highlights cover the blonde today.  Lilly ruffled my hair and giggled.  She's never seen me as a redhead.

-- My girlfriend laughed at my desk.  I cook for her occasionally, because she works hard.  If we lived together, we'd be on TLC's My 600-pound Life, she says.  We laughed.  They'd have to call it Two Tons of Fun, I say.

I started a new diet program.  I lost 30 pounds last year, but I'm stuck.  Not stuck enough that I can't laugh at myself.  Diabetes sucks.

-- A client and his husband talked about their adopted son, and distills middle-class privilege into access.  Not straight, gay, black or white.  Access is socioeconomic, and is learned.  He's teaching his teenager how to check into a hotel, how to balance a checkbook, how to sit at a restaurant and use the right utensils.  Travel, education, art and literature.

His son is from rural Guatemala.

David Brooks wrote an opinion piece about socioeconomic access, transversing classes, and navigating an Italian deli, that was panned by critics because it seemed to miss the mark about elitism.  But he exposes a hidden truth.  Informal social codes exist in all classes to attract, embrace, and exclude.  We lived during a time that encouraged kids to rise above their upbringing.  Doing better than your parents was expected.  Maybe that's not so true today.

-- Edhfwgrg💁🏻‍♂️, Lilly typed while I put down the tablet to pick up her toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment